Getting a Permit

Permits can be obtained by completing an application form and returning it to our Alice Springs Office.

A same day issue transit pass (3 DAYS MAXIMUM) is issued to people travelling on the Great Central Road, Heather Highway and Gunbarrel Highway. Travellers wishing to spend longer than 3 days or gain entry to other roads, the communities, art centres or similar within the Ngaanyatjarra Lands will need to outline their proposed itinerary and length of time required, the application will then be passed on to the appropriate Community for consideration for approval (7 DAY TURNAROUND)

Download an Application Pack here or contact our Permit Officer on 08 8950 1711 or for more information. 

You can also apply for a permit online to access the Ngaanyatjarra Lands through The Department of Aboriginal Affairs (any permits requested for longer than the 3 day transit will be sent to the Ngaanyatjarra Council for approval)


Occasionally there are requests for permits to enter the Lands that are outside the normal criteria. For instance, somebody wanting to ride a bicycle through the Lands, or a large group wanting to caravan across the lands. These requests must be made well in advance as they can only be approved at the monthly Ngaanyatjarra Council Meeting. Requests can be made via phone (08 8950 1711) or email

Upcoming Events