Frequently Asked Questions: Permits.

It is mandatory for all travellers/service providers to be fully vaccinated to enter the Ngaanyatjarra Lands.  Ngaanyatjarra will request vaccination certificate before processing your application. Failure to provide one will lead to your application being denied.  If you have not been vaccinated your application will be denied. 


You must carry COVID-19 Vaccination Record (proof of vaccination) at all times whist on reserve land.

You are responsible for acquiring State Border Entry Forms/G2G Pass and adhering to State Border Control regulations. 


Why do I need a permit for the Ngaanyatjarra Lands?

The Ngaanyatjarra Lands is an area governed and controlled by the Ngaanyatjarra People. The Ngaanyatjarra Council By-laws provides the authority to the Ngaanyatjarra Council to issue permits on behalf of the Ngaanyatjarra People.  It is private land and as such not anybody can enter the Lands at their leisure, the same as people would not walk around uninvited in the backyard of their neighbor in the city.

What permits do I need?

A standard 3-day transit permit. This permit gives all travelers 3 days and 2 nights to transit from the Northern Territory border to Laverton.

Can I get more than 3 days?

No. For the purpose of transit only, there should be no reason to take more than 3 days. If you are unable to transit through the Ngaanyatjarra Lands within 3 days, it may be best to look for an alternative route.

Please scroll to the bottom of this page and download the "roads to enter Western Australia" pdf. 

What if I am hosting a tour or a group?

All groups and tours will only be issued a standard 3-day transit permit. This permit gives all groups and tours 3 days and 2 nights to transit.

Does Ngaanyatjarra Council need proof of my approved G2G Pass?


I have received an approved G2G Pass does this mean I will receive a transit permit?


The Ngaanyatjarra Council reserves the right to reject permit applications on the basis of border restrictions and for the health and safety of vulnerable remote Aboriginal Communities.  Therefore, unless travelers entering Western Australia from the Northern Territory border have been in the Northern Territory for a minimum of 14 days*, then transit permit applications will be rejected irrespective of WA Government issued G2G status.

*Providing false or misleading information is a criminal offence punishable by law.

Can Ngaanyatjarra Council help me or provide further information regarding G2G Passes?


The WA Government issued G2G Pass and the Ngaanyatjarra Council Transit permit are NOT mutually exclusive. 

Please go to WA Government G2G Pass website for more information:

Where can I find information about the road conditions?

Please go to:

What roads do I need a permit for?

- Abandoned Section Gunbarrel/Gunbarrel Highway

- Connie Sue Highway

- Giles Mulga Park Road

- Great Central Road

- Heather Highway

- Ngaanyatjarra Southern Road

- Sandy Blight Junction Road

Can I visit Surveyors General Corner?

No. Currently the Surveyors General Corner is closed to the public as community entry is required to get there.

Can I enter the Roadhouses?


Are there entry conditions for the Roadhouses?


If your permit application is approved the Roadhouse Entry Conditions will be emailed to you with your permit. Please read the conditions carefully as the Roadhouses are independently owned and operated.

Can I enter the communities?

Only if you are providing an essential service. Otherwise, no. There are no exemptions.

Do I need permits for the Northern Territory?

Yes. For more information, please visit

Ngaanyatjarra Council does NOT issue or approve permits for:

- Anne Beadell Highway

- Gary Junction/Gary Highway

- Neale Junction

- Entry permits for the Kiwirrkurra Community

*To obtain a permit please apply through the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage*

Upcoming Events